Last May at a Management Forum brainstorm, the idea of "revenue generating activities" was added to the list of things that Lethbridge College should 'start' doing. I emphasize 'start' because some initiatives have been underway for a long time, so in some situations, it really means escalate.
Since then, revenue generating activities have been discussed in several other contexts and now a working group has come together to gather ideas and start initiatives. The momentum behind this is increasing, largely because of the anticipated tight budget situation over the next two years. The direction is that we (Lethbridge College) needs to be very proactive in finding ways to increase revenue, rather than sitting back and waiting for more funding / $ to come our way.
I volunteered as a member of this group because the work that EET does continues to be discussed in relation to ideas for revenue generating activities. We have a reputation out there for supporting a variety of projects that fall into these categories. This includes developing learning materials (think about NATOA, Badlands, and Wind Turbine, Weatherford), facilitation skills (Instructional Skills Workshops), videos, learning objects, etc. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.
I see our role in this as very much a support role for other areas on campus, such as Industrial Trades and Technology, Business Training and Development, and Applied Research projects across all programs. Departments such have this have an entrepreneurial focus to their work. For now, we'll support them. In the future, who knows? Either way, we all need to remain open to possibilities and listen hard for opportunities as sometimes opportunities knock very softly.
No comments:
Post a Comment